We Fight For Your Legal Rights!   Call For Free Consultation      (813) 873-0180

Am I required to buy auto insurance in Florida if I own or lease a car?


Video Transcription

Yes, in the state of Florida, if you own or lease a car you are required to have certain automobile coverage. You are required to have PIP insurance, which is also known as personal injury protection or no fault coverage. You are also required to have property damage coverage. If you cause an accident and you cause property damage to another vehicle, that property damage covers their property damage. It does not, however, cover your property damage.

So if you want to be sure that your car is covered, you need additional coverage called Comp and Collision. In addition to that, if it is your fault and you injure the person in the other vehicle, and you don’t have bodily injury coverage, then their injuries will not be covered and they could sue you personally. This coverage is not required in the state of Florida, but it is highly recommended.

Additionally, there is UM coverage, called the uninsured, underinsured motorist coverage, also not required in the state of Florida, however, because as I said it is not required to have bodily injury insurance, if somebody hits you and it’s their fault and they don’t have that coverage, the only way you will get your injuries paid for is if you have your own uninsured or underinsured coverage.

Contact Florida Auto Accident Attorney.

Fill out my online form.

Related FAQs

Related Blogs

Hit and Run Accident Tampa FL – What to Do if You are a Victim

How to Avoid Red Light Accidents in Tampa Florida

More Videos

franco law telephone icon

Call For Free Consultation

(813) 873-0180

Thank you!