Common RV Accidents
RVs are large and require a bit of practicing and experience to operate them as safely as possible. It’s not too different from a regular truck and requires you to think constantly about your speed, distance from other drivers, sharp turns, etc. Having such similarities to trucks means that RVs have similar chances to get into common accidents, such as speeding, over-tired drivers, and collisions due to blind spots on the road. However, RVs are more prone to the accidents listed below than other smaller vehicles, such as cars and SUVs.
- Off Tracking
- This common situation happens when you drive a corner in a RV. When driving in a straight line the tires follow the same path and direction, but when turning a corner the rear tires go a dramatically different path. How substantially the wheels turn depends on your wheelbase and wheel cut of your vehicle. A good way to combat this issue is to make the proper adjustments and to recognize good lane positioning.
- Rear Overhang
- The drive, or front axle, of your RV is a place of a common situation, known as rear overhang. As a pivot point, your RV will move around this spot whenever a turn is made. Everything at this point will go the opposite direction of your turning so its essential due to the fact that if left unchecked, could cause collisions when not expected. Keep notice that even though your front may be clear, your back may not be and could swing around and hit something which could spell big trouble.
It’s important to remember to take it easy and not travel fast and to break slow since you have a lot of force / weight behind you. When driving a large vehicle you are more dangerous to smaller / less protected vehicles and persons. We encourage RV drivers to be considerate of others on the road to keep everyone safe. These relatively recent news headlines remind us of the potential dangers of RV Accidents in Florida:
- After crash rips hole in RV on Florida highway, passenger falls out and dies (February 2018)
- 2 killed as RV crushes car in horrific Marion County crash (June 2018)
- Tire blowout cases RV crash on I-10 (June 2019)
- RV fire stalls traffic on Florida’s Turnpike near Port St. Lucie (April 2020)
Florida RV Accident Statistics
Unfortunately, RV accidents are common enough to count them with detail. According to the Florida Highway and Safety 2017 statistics, there were over a hundred accidents involving mobile homes and coaches. There were reported 985 people involved in these particular accidents with a mix of serious injuries and those who thankfully walked away from the accident unscathed. In any vehicular accident there is the potential for injury, but when driving a vehicle that weighs more than most, it’s important to be as cautious as you can be.
RV Repair and Purchase in the Tampa Metro Area
Florida, especially Tampa, is a desired / popular RV location so there are plenty of purchase options (RV dealers) and repair services in the area. Remember to always to do a tune up on your RV before a long trip to prevent breakdowns and potential accidents.
- R V Medic Inc
Phone: (813) 935-3268
Address:1702 E Busch Blvd, Tampa, FL 33612
- Quality On Site RV Repair
Phone: (727) 946-4711
Address: Come to you! / Mobile Service
- On The Road Again RV Inspection and Mobile Repair
Phone: (813) 445-6978
Address: 3501 Bessie Coleman Blvd Suite 23383, Tampa, FL 33623
RV Purchase / RV Dealers
- Motor Depot LLC
Phone: (813) 850-1818
Address: 2930 S 50th St, Tampa, FL 33619
- Lazydays RV of Tampa
Phone: (855) 966-0147
Address: 6130 Lazy Days Blvd, Seffner, FL 33584
- General RV Center
Phone: (813) 305-2500
Address: 13396 E, US-92, Dover, FL 33527
RV Accident Attorneys in Tampa | Franco Law Group P.A.
Were you recently involved in an accident with an RV? Do you know what to do to best protect your legal rights under Florida law? With over 20 years of experience, our attorneys are dedicated to helping the injured and disabled. If you were involved in an RV accident in Florida, then we are here to help. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us immediately at (813) 873-0180. Our office is located in Tampa, FL and we are able to schedule in-person consultations when appropriate given the current COVID-19 pandemic.